We can all agree to the fact that moisture problems are very common in most household settings with basements. They make living uncomfortable for most people who do not have any idea of how to resolve the issue. The most challenging tasks however are how to manage such situations and do away with them completely. It can be quite a challenge fixing all the loopholes that contribute to moisture buildup that leads to basement dampness. In some cases it may not be a problem where the basement is seldom used but that cannot rule out the fact that most household use basement as living rooms and bedrooms.
Moisture problems pose health problems due to hazards that come about as a result of dampness. Problems such as pests’ menace, growth of mildew and mold not forgetting the foul smells that cover the atmosphere are quite common cases among most basement dwellers. It is not until the necessary measures and precautions are put into place, the moisture problem will remain to be what it is. As we will come to see later in this article, reliable concrete floor sealers remain to be the most undisputed solutions for moisture problems and dealers such as https://www.resinfloorcoatingsuk.com have a variety of solutions.
Understanding moisture problems
Moisture problems in basements need lasting solutions that will prevent reoccurrence of the same problems in the future, and that can only be done by understanding the cause of the problem and how to deal with it. First, it is important to know where the water responsible for dampness is coming from and under what circumstances does it find its way to the basement. Some of the moisture problems arise from the following causes;
- Ground water and other times rain water. Such water finds its way to basements mostly due to poor construction that results to cracks hence paving way for water penetration, or poor drainage mechanisms that do not hold water drainage well.
- Moisture from inside. Bathrooms and humidity from cooking among other activities could be a contributing factor to moisture problems in the basements. It can become worse especially when there is poor ventilation to facilitate adequate air ventilation.
How to identify moisture problems
The following ways can help you know when moisture has taken over the better part of your house or basement, so that you can take the necessary precautions in order to avoid health hazards that come as a result of dampness occurrences.
- Growth of molds and mildew
- Stained wall with peeled off painting
- Humid and still damp air
- Wood decay and damp carpets
- Water coming from wall openings
Understanding basement moisture causes and how to contain them
- Interior Water leaks. Water leaks are common cases of moisture causes. It could be from most likely sources such as leaking showers, toilets or even the typical washing machine. This problem however does not need a lot of expertise in order to fix it. You can easily repair the leaking part or have someone fix it for you.
- Poor Grading. Ground or rain water is bound to make its way to the basement if the work was poorly done. Your house grounding should be done in such a way that outside water does not find its way to your basement.
- Foundation with cracks. This is a sure cause that is not up for debate. Water will always find its way to the basement if there are cracks to facilitate that. Poor drainage is a major cause of cracked foundation that is why proper drainage is essential in the first place. Water should be directed in such a way that it does not accumulate against foundation walls to avoid pressure exertion that may lead to cracks. Repairing external drainage will help contain the situation.
- Defective or missing Gutters. The sole purpose of gutters is to direct rain water away from the house. Therefore, missing or defective gutters means that water is directed towards the house foundation and chances are that it will end up in your basement. Replacing worn out or defective gutters with functional ones helps contain the situation.
- Poorly designed window wells. Such windows allow water to move towards the foundation due to improper installation. In such a situation, a drain tile extension can help when fixed at the base of the window well in order to direct water away from the house foundation.
- This happens when warm moist air comes into contact with cold walls and floors. This is however a situation that is easy to handle and does not incur any costs. Increased air circulation is one way to resolve the issue and this can be done by adding some vents or fans.
Applicable solutions to basement moisture problems
When it comes to managing moisture problems, it is good to put up measures that will prevent moisture buildup in basements leading to dampness and posing health hazards. These are some of the lasting solutions that you can rely on;
- Use a concrete floor sealer to damp-proof your basement. This is one of the most recommendable ways to contain moisture related issues in the basements. However, for this method to be effective, there are a number of things you should take care of first;
- Sweep the basement and remove all the moisture related dirt buildup and clean thoroughly with warm water in order to do away with present bacteria.
- Contain internal moisture sources such as bathrooms by providing proper ventilation that will not directly bring warm air in.
After taking care of the above mentioned things and making sure that the basement is completely dry, proceed to apply a sealant coating that is reliable when it comes to keeping moisture away. You can look up at https://www.resinfloorcoatingsuk.com for more information on reliable coating sealants.
- Fixing drainage system. It is important to put up a reliable drainage system that will not have you worked up whenever it rains. This ensures that water does not find its way to your basement leading to moisture buildup resulting to dampness. For a concrete sealer to be effective, proper drainage has to play part.